Hurricane Sandy heads for Jamaica, gets stronger
[Updated 11:05 a.m.] Sandy is now a Category 1 hurricane, with maximum sustained winds of 80 mph, according to the National Hurricane Center.
[Updated 6:44 a.m. ET] Jamaica’s international airports are closed as Tropical Storm Sandy approaches. They will re-open at the earliest possible opportunity, airport officials say.
[Posted 5:05 a.m. ET] A strengthening Tropical Storm Sandy is closing on Jamaica, bringing blustery winds and bouts of rain to the island.
Early Wednesday, Sandy was kicking up winds of 70 mph and was about 120 miles south of Kingston, Jamaica and is expected to make landfall this afternoon. The National Hurricane Center in Miami expects the storm to become a hurricane by Wednesday afternoon. A storm becomes a hurricane when its winds get to 74 mph.
- weatherstuff reblogged this from hurricaneprepcenter
- ginancom likes this
- daughterofassata reblogged this from wellmuddasick
- bjlantern reblogged this from wellmuddasick
- kourtney-kitty reblogged this from wellmuddasick
- wellmuddasick reblogged this from andsoshewill and added:
- andsoshewill reblogged this from hurricaneprepcenter and added:
- micalforsythe reblogged this from hurricaneprepcenter
- hurricaneprepcenter posted this